Thursday, August 27, 2009

Why practice? (Part 2)

Here's an illustration of why it's good for artists to practice as well as work from life. I have been painting figures in water for many years... working from photos in my studio. However, I also sketch live models and actual water to really understand what I 'see' in my photos.

I often practice with the same image before I start the 'final' painting, whether working from life or a picture. I may even paint the same photo over again to truly capture what I think it should feel like.

These sketches are from a live figure study session this past weekend. The first sketch is my second attempt at this pose. See my first attempt below... it's more labored. I was trying to get the proportions right as well as the light. In the later one, my marks are more confident and spontaneous.


One of my favorite teachers, Rita Shumaker, would say 'The body has memory'. I'll add practicing is not a waste of time, but makes one's work better! Forget the idea of 'wasting' supplies... you're honing your craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers