Monday, August 10, 2009

Why practice?

Practice, practice, practice... how many times have I heard it and still, I have this epiphany sometimes! I know my work is better when I practice... both as a group of paintings and on an individual level.

When I paint often... paint regularly, I increase my success rate... more paintings "work". When I practice a pose or view before beginning the final, I increase my chances of the final painting working well. One of my favorite teachers, Rita Shumaker, used to say "The body has memory." It's so true... in the same way an athlete warms up before and actually practices the marathon... not just going out and running cold!

One of my favorite things about practicing is my paintings are getting looser, more spontaneous... a look that really excites me. (Here's the image that inspired this entry... I still find it amazing that some of my best sketches are on crappy newsprint! I think it's because there's no internal stress over using 'good' materials.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers