Saturday, September 5, 2009

I'm taking a painting sabbatical.

I'm taking a "Painting Sabbatical" this month. Still doing a few necessary things (business & personal), but for the most part making art is my goal. There are several important aspects of my painting process... first, I love business so much-it's really my default setting-I must guard my time when painting is priority... hence my scheduled painting sabbatical! (I also recently put my pastel painting studio space in a building away from the house which has no WiFi;-0)

Next, I need inspiration in the form of working from life, having different photo shoots with models for great resource material and seeing other artist's work. Here's one of my all time favorite painters... Lynn Boggess. Check out this link... www.lynnboggess.com/ (His work is even more incredible in person, but can be appreciated in digital form. Also check out the video footage.)

Another thing about me is I must have some interaction regarding my work. I enjoy spending time with other artists, but I'm most grateful to have an artist husband. Although being married to another artist has it's drawbacks, we spend a lot of time together and he has been so helpful with my work! Recently, we were dissecting why one of my new paintings was so hot and the one on the easel was not. As tough as it is to admit faults, I feel so much better when I let go of a painting that is not working... whether priming over it or rinsing off the pastel.

Even though the painting on the easel was almost done and I'd been working on it for over a week, it was not working. No matter how much more I did, it would never be a winner. So, now it's gone and I am happy and excited about the new one I just started and the four behind it. I know what I enjoy, why do I get off track? Perhaps distracted by lovely bodies in water...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers