Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Marketing strategies

There are many tips & strategies for improving one's business. Especially in this economy, cross marketing is one of the best. Lots of businesses are doing it... products being advertised on TV shows is one of many examples. An artist selling art materials they already use is another. Think about what makes you different... or what is another angle on your art?

For me, my work is about water, swimmers... a great fit for summer. But, I also love the business of art (sometimes as much as making the paintings themselves;-0)... so this is another area I can market my art.

This picture is a cover of The Mecklenburg Times, (a Charlotte, NC business paper) May 19, 2009 issue. It's a photo of me by Jim McGuire for an article Austin Light wrote on the business of art. It was exposure for me as an artist... but the topic was first business, then art. (Read the article on this link www.dolanmedia.com/view.cfm?recID=487518.)

One last example of excellent cross marketing is Marc Gustafson's Gallery Pantone 278 in Charlotte, NC. I had a June 2009 Solo show at this non traditional gallery. The openings are held at a local Trolley Museum and the owner does most of his marketing through Facebook and his gallery Blog. He is having lots of folks attending his openings AND selling art! (See more on gallerypantone278.blogspot.com/)

Think about who likes your work and why? What about your art may be different and how could you use that difference to market what you do? And, last thought... try to focus on the positive. (I'm not good with this all the time... but it always helps!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers