Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First stage of a pastel painting

This is the beginning of one of my newest pastel paintings. Tonight I almost finished it (so it looks more colorful, detailed and smooth... will post pics as soon as I share new work with Red Sky Gallery).

One day, I'll do a series of these really rough, sketchy impressions of a moment in water. There is something lovely and raw about the marks capturing that suspended moment of light & movement... body & water. But, finishing a painting and pushing color into color... thick and rich is cool too.

Being dedicated to my own art is why I quit my full time teaching job three years ago. I think this is the first fall I was totally absent of that 'back to school' feeling... finally deprogrammed from 13 years of teaching and how many years was I a student before that?? This fall is about painting in my new pastel studio space and enjoying September... with it's crisp nights.....

1 comment:

  1. Nice Article. Thanks for sharing. I too like the African Art very much.

    ReplyDelete

Followers