Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

If an artist is going to put themselves out there, they will experience rejection. The trick is to think strategically and be smart and thorough. I quit my safe full time teaching job to be a full time artist over four years ago.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." (Charles Dickens quote) This describes my past six months. I have worked very hard over the last four years (and of course before that, but my art business always came after my teaching job). Yet, this summer I have experienced some fruits of those efforts.

However, I have also experienced some serious rejection this summer! SO, simultaneously, there are great things like in September (right now) I have local, regional and national art publicity! But, I also heard a "no" from several grants applications and one residency.

If I were gauging my success on my rejections, I would have never quit my safe teaching job in the first place. Business is a balance of passion (doing what you love), marketing (finding who shares your passion and will invest) and strategic planning (where do you want to be down the road and then steps to get there).

I love to paint women in water. I create other work, but I am passionate about this series and it has become my "brand". Several years ago I said I want to be in American Art Collector Magazine. I waited because strategically, I thought it best to have an ad with a gallery. Now, I am in that magazine in a RedSky Gallery ad and I am mentioned by name in an interview with the gallery owner.

Yet, at the same time, I have received numerous rejection letters... for things I really thought I had a chance at "this time"! So, artists, brace yourself for rejection. Learn from those rejections and move on. IF you want to make your art a business, you must learn what you can from the ups and the downs! Business is just like your art practice in that is a process. I would encourage you to enjoy more of it and use these experiences to get closer to your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers