Monday, June 28, 2010

My painting process












Oil on canvas diptych, both panels 8x16"... just completed late last week. It's loosely based on a photo of mine... a raindrop hitting the surface of the pool water (as viewed from underneath water).

I started it upside down from this. As most of my oil paintings, I do additive and subtractive painting... letting it dry to the touch in between layers to retain & build that texture.

See this detail below...













And, finally here is what it looked liked in the beginning. When I went back to paint on it, I had a difficult time keeping the original look... and was frustrated. When I let go of the former painting and let it be what it was, I still didn't like it overall. But, I did love the surface!

I turned it upside down and left my studio. When I returned the next day, I was surprised at what a strong painting it was. I signed it and moved on to another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers