Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Having fun with oil painting


This is a detail shot of my latest oil painting, "Rest". Whether I am working small or on a bigger canvas (this one is 24x30"), I paint with my bare hands as well as brushes!

I use a variety of oil painting brushes, but in addition to adding paint with brushes, I like the subtractive nature of scraping back with 'shaper' tools. I also blend and move paint with my fingers as well as the heal of my hand.

If you look at the light area above the hand in this detail shot, you can see the cast shadow created by oil paint when I scraped back through.




(PS... both of these are quick pics from the easel. I'll post better images soon. Oil paintings are tough to photograph until the surface dries a bit... don't like the glare.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers