Saturday, January 9, 2010

Don't give up!


Don't give up! I have been applying for a residency at McColl Center of Visual Art in Charlotte, NC for years and finally got a yes. I will be an Affiliate Artist (for artists in the area) from April-August 2010. Check out the website... www.mccollcenter.org

The photo above is the studio I will occupy for that time. I am extremely grateful and excited. And, if I'd given up one of the many times I applied before, I would NOT have finally heard the "yes" this time.

(FYI... I also contacted the woman in charge of residencies after my last "no" and we discussed the strengths AND weaknesses of my application. This was kind of tough to hear, but information I put to good use with my most recent application in which I got in. Often there are tips posted on websites or organizations giving grants & residencies will often give applicants help.)

There are numerous artists applying for the same grants, residencies, galleries, etc... And many times, one doesn't get in the first time. Sometimes, it's because it is very competitive that year, maybe your work is not as strong as it could be... maybe they just want to make sure you are a dedicated artist and will keep applying. There are too many variables and each time is different.

As an artist who's received a LOT of rejection, but also has received multiple grants and sold work in galleries... I'm telling you to not give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers