Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pastels by color and value


Although I have seen many professional pastelists order their pastels by color and value, I haven't done this to all of mine in a long time... until recently. Partly because I teach and do plein air with my pastels (and use different color palettes depending on what I'm painting) and also because of the number of boxes I have, it seemed to be a hassle to order ALL of my soft pastels by their color and value.

But, I realized it was hurting my work. It was difficult to "see" the colors and values of yellow, say, when some were together and some were mixed with other colors! So, now that I have done this, it's been great for my current paintings AND I realized I had some duplicate colors that went into my teaching or plein air box.

It also made for some cool photos! If you compare these pics to my October 13 post photo, you can see what I meant about colors being mixed up.



[At the top is a photo of some of my Unison Soft Pastels. Directly above is my box of Richeson Soft Pastels. Both are hand-made. Unison are best quality and my all time favorite pastel... ever! The Richeson are good because they are big and bright & affordable... but I can't layer as much as with the Unison.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers