Monday, November 23, 2009

Almost done.


"Below", pastel on board, is my most recent pastel painting. It's shown here above almost completed. The texture is rougher than many of mine usually are. I used a tinted Colourfix primer that I painted on top of a GatorFoam board. Therefore I got a more random texture from the brush application. (A number of pastelists paint their own textured surfaces, including Susan Ogilvie.) I especially like the way the color drags across the texture on the surface of the pool... really mimics the light moving across wall & floor.

This is the second painting in which I've used lots of bold red. Since I have been painting this series of women in pools for so long, I do get bored from time to time and have to shake it up, so to speak.

I also approached this a little differently after watching a Susan Ogilvie presentation earlier this month. She has a very methodical, strong approach to her pastel painting. She uses bold marks with subtle color variations to add interest. I don't think anyone would think of her work when looking at this painting, but her influence is there nonetheless. (It is a great idea to see other artists work... can really be inspiring... not to copy them, but to learn from their approach!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers