Friday, December 4, 2009

The angle makes the proportion.

When it comes to figure study, "The angle makes the proportion." This is something Dean Butckovitz has said many times and it is totally true. (He's a former art professor of mine who is super talented with figure study!) Human anatomy is tough. When I'm painting from a photo, not real life, and it's a body floating in water, it is even more difficult. But I love the body and I love water and accept this ongoing challenge as part of my process!

Much of my painting is from photos, although I do work from life-in the form of live models and 'plein air' water in landscape. The real life experiences help and so does a mirror in my studio. However, the best advice I've ever had about figure study is "The angle makes the proportion." Think about it next time you observe a still body.

Look below at the right edge of this model's face and the shadow of her 'ear'... the angle of both that ear and edge of her face makes the proportion needed to show her looking off to her left. IF I had slightly tilted either, it would be less accurate.


If you are an artist, carefully study the angles in your human forms... and your figure study will improve. Of course, a great exercise for this is to do quick studies of live models. This will help you to 'capture' that particular pose.

If you check out my August 27, 2009 post, you can see my first attempt at this model by the pool... and how off my angles were!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers